Sweet, hot and tasty. A great quick and easy weekend breakfast as a treat. Everyone loves French toast, so here is my recipe.
It is a great breakfast for those days you want a more comforting breakfast, and the best thing is it’s not overly sweet.
It is also a very versatile recipe and you can even customize the flavours (for example using fruit or chocolate).
BONUS: I also have a recipe for a syrup to pair with this French toast, also works well with pancakes. Feel free to add any fruit of your choice like berries.
Day-old/stale bread works best. The thicker your bread the better. Texas toast would be perfect for this recipe. Leave your toast to soak as long as you want – we want it to be all the way through.
Here is my classic recipe below.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 4-5 Thick slices of bread (white or brioche)
- Butter for the bread
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract , optional
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (4floz/120ml) cream (any type will do)
- 1 tablespoon (1/2oz/15g) butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 200*C Butter the slices of bread on both sides.
- In a shallow bowl whisk the eggs, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon and cream.
- The important part: Soak the slices of bread in the egg for as long as you can. I leave it in the custard overnight. At least soak the bread for a minimum of 30 minutes. Turn 15 minutes in and soak it on the other side. Lift out and let any extra egg drain back into the dish. The more custard it soaks the better.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Brush with some butter to stop the bread from sticking.
- Fry the slices of bread until they are crisp and golden brown on both sides.
- Optional: Transfer the french toast to a baking tray and pop them into the oven for 7 minutes, just to make sure they are fully cooked through.
- Place them on a plate and dust with some confectioners sugar and pour over maple syrup.
- Enjoy while still warm.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 60g Butter
- 90ml Water
- 3 1/2T Brown Sugar
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add your butter and allow to melt and simmer for 20 seconds
- Add your water and stir, allow to simmer for 20 seconds
- Add your sugar and stir. Mix all the time (prevents burning) until your mixture is slightly golden
- Enjoy with my French Toast